Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2016

L'Art De Last Guerre


I bought a copy of Version 3 of LADG last year, had a game at Club, wasn't overly impressed and added it to my ever growing collection of rules that I never use.

I've noticed its growing popularity and that it appears increasingly on the competition circuit so thought 'sod it I'll give it another go'. A few weeks ago I had a chat with Colin Cavanagh, a club member who has played a couple of LADG competitions, and he kindly agreed to show me the ropes.

So far we have played a couple of games which, due mainly to his patience, have been very enjoyable as well as a near vertical learning curve (that's if if possible to have a vertical curve!?!).

I then decided that there is no point buggering about so went online and booked a place at Firestorm Games forthcoming 2 day LADG competition. It seemed a good idea at the time; that is until I realised that I had absolutely no idea what Army to use! I've subsequently browsed the army lists looked at the figures I have and, for no particular reason whatsover, gone for Sassanid Persians. All I now have to do is paint them and learn to use them!!!

Some of the things I particularly like about LADG as a rule set is that there are 283 comprehensive army lists included in the rule book so there is no need to buy a multitude of expensive supplements and that compared to FoG the forces involved are relatively small. About half the size of FoG. The games are also quick and over and done with in a couple of hours.

So two games down and a competition army chosen Colin has agreed to come round to provide another masterclass and my Sassanids will be facing his Selucids.

I've had the Sassanids in the 'metal mountain' for many years so this project will put a dent in the pile, well at least the Sassanid bit, and leave enough leftover for a larger FoG Army. Compatible basing between rule sets is another bonus.

All my existing figures are from the excellent 28mm Gripping Beast range and the only figures I've bought to supplement them are 8 heavy horse archers (from GB) and I treated myself to a stunning general mounted on an equally stunning elephant from Aventine Miniatures.

Photos and an AAR of my forthcoming game with Colin to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing and reading the AAR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An enjoyable game indeed. Good luck on your competition.

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I will see you in Cardiff. My outing of 3 games with Early Imperial Romans at Thornbury was a steep learning curve and every army I played had a surprise - two had elephants and the other war wagons but being Hussites that was somewhat predictable!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, I greatly appreciate your feedback. Even negative stuff proves someone is looking!